Monday 21 November 2016

Amreekaa!!! - A fairy tale dream...

That's what it felt like, friends... my recent vacation to the USA

Mmm.... where shall I begin?
Okay, let me start with my fairy tale romance with Lufthansa - my flight carrier.
Checked  well in time for my mid night flight. Ground staff looked a bit disoriented...
The In-flight crew more than made it up.
It felt at home, eating hot South Indian breakfast and lunch - not to miss the pongal, vada and mini dosas.  Basmati rice, dal and paneer

I should admit, the airport and in flight experience reminded me of 'English Vinglish' a lot.
Just one Tamil movie and couple of Hindi movies.
The ground staff and in - flight crew of Frankfurt - Detroit, out did the first set of crew by their kindness and assistance.
Man... how do they keep running about, all thru 8 hours of flight... commendable indeed!!!

After the 21 hour flight ( which felt like never ending one) finally landed at the automobile city of the USA - Detroit.
Met with family, felt really relaxing with all the comforts and pampering...
Mr Jetlag went soft on me... didn't trouble me much thankfully.

Lo and behold! it was long weekend and we had to put it to good use...
We drove to Chicago. Stayed at The Residence Inn Mariotte... wow, cool place to be in:)

Drove around the city. Felt on top of the world, from the Skydeck view point, at Sears Towers (Willis Towers).
Visited Navy Pier to watch fireworks for July 4th weekend.
People and more people, as far as the eye could see. The special firework sight seeing cruise - a guided tour of all those structural and architectural wonders along the way, was a visual treat indeed, especially with the evening lights. The momentum picked up as the night ended with the fireworks display.

Chicago and shopping - oh yes!!!.  The many Malls, Nordstorm, Coach, Levis and all the brand names you can think of... The Magnificient Mile, near Dearborn street, it has it all.
Visit to Chicago would not be complete without a visit to the Devon Avenue - The little India isn't it? I should say, I was very much impressed. Have heard in the past, as to how dirty it used to be...
Its very neatly maintained now, the streets, pavements, the shops, restaurants and exclusive parking lots. Being an Indian from India, the shops did not attract me much, but is a good collection for those Indians who miss being a part of India.

Great food options - Italian, Uno Pizzas, Mexican...
So long.... shall be back soon with next city...



No comments:

Post a Comment